I love the idea of being off on Mondays. Like a small extension of the weekend, a bonus time spent with my little girl. When she’ll start school, the rhythms will change. But for the moment, Monday is our day.
Yes except that on Mondays in Geneva, everything is closed! Everything? Noooo! If like me you’re a Monday parent and you’re looking for cool family activities, here are some ideas!
– Our beloved Jardin botanique de Genève (Chemin de l’Impératrice 1, 1292 Chambésy-Genève) is open every day of the year and whatever the weather! Plants, animals and fun games: a real breath of fresh air to start the week.
– We love to observe our furry friends at the Bois de la Bâtie (Chemin de la Bâtie, 1202 Geneva): it’s an ideal place to spend time watching (usually for hours) them and get to know them. The playground next door is perfect to complete the outing.
Always on the animal side, the Ferme de la Gavotte (Chemin des Verjus 138, 1212 Lancy) is also one of our favorite spots. Goats, donkeys, ponies, hens, woolly pigs and poultry roam freely. Put on your rain boots and let’s go!
– Impossible not to suggest you to go for a dip in the lake (ok, it’s still a little cold but it’ll come soon) (yes, I swear!) or just enjoy the sun while playing with pebbles at the Bains des Pâquis (Quai du Mont-Blanc 30, 1201 Geneva). You can also have lunch or a drink.
Indoor visits …
It is raining? It’s cold? Long story short, you are looking for an indoor activity?
– Most museums are closed on Mondays (and not only in Geneva). One exception, however, is the Musée d’Histoire des Sciences (Parc de La Perle du Lac, Rue de Lausanne 128, 1202 Geneva), which is open on Mondays. But closed on Tuesday. Well. In this museum, thanks to Albertine, a little scholar, you’ll learn the use and origin of a lot of strange instruments … but very useful.
– Still on the science side, you can also organize a visit to Cern (Route de Meyrin 385, 1217 Meyrin). “Microcosm”, a journey to discover CERN and its activities in Geneva, and the “Universe of Particle” exhibition will delight our small scientists.
– For animal lovers of all kinds, and in this specific case reptile type, amphibian or spider, we go to Vivarium Meyrin (Rue Cardinal-Journet 32a, 1217 Meyrin). Here you’ll find 200 animals of 50 different species. The place which celebrates its 25 birthday is perfect to observe all this fauna, certainly a bit scary, but so fascinating.
Many establishments are closed on Mondays in Geneva. But here are some cool places if you want to avoid McDo (or if you’re a bit too lazy to cook).
– The classic chicken of Chez Ma Cousine (Place du Bourg de Four 6, 1204 Geneva or Rue Lissignol 5, 1201 Geneva or Chemin du Pt-Saconnex 2, 1209 Geneva) accompanied by its Provençal potatoes and garden salad is always a hit. And a chicken eaten with the fingers is even more fun!
– Italian food lovers? The wonderful pizzas of the Luigia (Adrien-Lachenal Street 24a
1207 Geneva and Chemin de la Tourelle 2, 1209 Geneva) will delight little gourmets. Just thinking about it, I have my mouth watering …
– And our favorite burgers made by Hamburger Foundation (Rue Philippe-Plantamour 37, 1201 Geneva and Rue Leschot 6, 1205 Geneva) are available on both sides of the lake 7 days a week. Such good news !
It’s already time to have a snack… Where do we go?
– Head to the Sardinian city, home to Wolfisberg bakery-pastry-shop (Place du Temple 5, 1227 Carouge) with its playroom adored by children.
– Around Plainpalais, we also like Coutume (Boulevard Carl Vogt 80, 1205 Geneva). A small babyccino (the cappuccino’s kids version) is always fun.
A little further…
– We can also choose to go a little further. Zoo La Garenne is open every day of the week. Entirely redone recently, it is a real pleasure to walk there and be able to observe species of local fauna (wolves, lynx, bearded vultures, etc.) in a setting both wild and pleasant.
– In Vevey, Nest, the brand new Nestlé Museum, welcomes visitors on Mondays as well. We follow the life of Henri Nestlé, creator of the famous brand, through a fun and interactive journey.
– Finally, if you want to do some exercice, go to the Salève where you can have fun in the parcabout Filenvol. A walk in the trees on exotic and fun catamaran nets.
And you, what do you do on Mondays in Geneva? If you have ideas to share, do not hesitate to leave me a comment.
Have a happy Monday!